Registration for Salem-Keizer Public Schools fall 2017 kindergarten programs opens Tuesday, February 21, 2017.
All elementary schools in Salem-Keizer offer free, full-day kindergarten. Students who turn five on or before September 10, 2017, are eligible to register. Parents are asked to register students soon to help schools prepare kindergarten classrooms for fall.
How To Register
To register, please visit the school and pick up a registration packet. If you’re unsure what school is assigned to serve your residence address, please visit the district’s school finder page.
Parents must complete and sign the forms in the registration packet (registration form, home language survey, immunization form) and provide:
- Proof of residence address. Examples of documents accepted include a copy of a utility bill, driver’s license with current address, copy of rental agreement, etc.
- Original birth certificate for the child. The school will make a copy and return the original to the parent.
Additional information about registration requirements can be found on the Enrollment and Registration page.
Help Your Student Get Ready For School
Parents can help students get ready for kindergarten by helping them:
- Hold a pencil, crayons and scissors correctly.
- Practice writing his/her name.
- Learn the ABC’s and how to count to twenty.
- Name and identify basic shapes, such as square, triangle and circle.
- Learn how to take turns and share with others.
- How to use the bathroom and wash hands independently.
Find more resources to prepare for kindergarten on the Kindergarten Readiness page. Please contact your school with questions about registering for kindergarten.