Salem-Keizer Public Schools is pleased to offer free, full-day kindergarten programs at all elementary schools. Children are not required to attend kindergarten, however, enrollment in kindergarten is strongly recommended.
Research has shown there are many benefits of full-day kindergarten, including:
- Long-term educational gains
- Social, emotional and intellectual growth
- Students are better prepared to enter first grade
Research has also shown that five year old children are ready for a longer school day.
Kindergarten Registration, 2016-17
Salem-Keizer elementary schools will begin accepting kindergarten registrations for the 2016-17 school year on Tuesday, February 23, 2016.
- Children who will be five years old on or before Sept. 10, 2016, are eligible to register.
- For information about registering for kindergarten, call your assigned school or the Office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2632.
Find Your Child's Assigned School
If you are not sure which school is in your neighborhood area, find your school based on the address where your child lives with our Online School Finder. You can also call the Boundary Information line Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at 503-399-3246.
Things You Need in order to Register
In order to register a child for kindergarten, parents must provide:
- Your child’s birth certificate as proof of age.
- An updated record of your child’s immunizations.
- Proof of address.
For information on how to help your child get ready for kindergarten, please visit the Kindergarten Readiness webpage. There you'll find resources, including videos, to help you get your student off to a good start in school.
For more information about Kindergarten Registration, call your local elementary school or the Office of K-12 Education at 503-399-2632.