Salem-Keizer Public Schools is pleased to offer free full-day kindergarten programs starting fall of 2015. In the fall, the district will no longer offer half-day kindergarten, however some private providers in the area still offer half-day programs. Children are not required to attend kindergarten, however it is strongly recommended.
Free full-day kindergarten originated from a law passed by the Oregon Legislature, which has proposed a level of funding for full-day programs in school districts across the state. Salem-Keizer is moving forward with implementing full-day kindergarten, and will adjust the plan if needed depending on the level of funding received from the state.
Research has shown there are many benefits of full-day kindergarten, including:
- Long-term educational gains
- Social, emotional and intellectual growth
- Students enter first grade better prepared
Research has also shown that five year old children are ready for a longer school day.
Kindergarten Registration, 2015-16
Salem-Keizer elementary schools will begin accepting kindergarten registrations for the 2015-16 school year on Tuesday, February 17, 2015.
- Please register your child as soon as possible. The district needs to know how many students will be attending in order to prepare an adequate number of classrooms, supplies, etc.
- Children who will be five years old on or before Sept. 10, 2015, are eligible to register.
- For information about registering for kindergarten, call your assigned school or the office of Elementary Education at 503-399-2632.
To register a kindergarten student for the balance of the 2014-15 school year, please call your assigned school for information.
Find Your Child's Assigned School
If you are not sure which school is in your neighborhood area, find your school based on the address where your child lives with our Online School Finder. You can also call Boundary Information line M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., at 503-399-3246.
Things You Need to Provide During Registration
In order to register a child for kindergarten, parents must provide:
- Your child’s birth certificate as proof of age.
- An updated record of their child’s immunizations.
- Proof of address
For more information about Kindergarten Registration call your local elementary school or the district's Elementary Education office at 503-399-2632.