In the event of bad weather, district officials will make the decision by 5:15 a.m. that day to close all or selected schools or to delay the start of school.
First information is sent to the website link below highlighted in yellow, then specific news media are notified of the closures and delays. If no annoucement is made it's safe to assume that the district is operating as usual.
On the Web
School Messenger Telephone Notification
If schools are closed or start times delayed, all students and staff will get a recorded message to the phone number on record with the district. This message will tell you about school cancellation, delay to start times, or district closure. Calls begin going out at 6 a.m. Make sure your contact informaion is up to date. Families who need to update their phone number should contact their school. Using a district computer, staff should go on the Employee Self Services website and update their information.
Staff Policy: Reporting During Inclement Weather and Other Emergencies
Local Media Announcements
|KBZY 1490 AM||KATU–Channel 2||The Statesman Journal|
|KPJC 1220 AM||KOIN–Channel 6|
|KEX 1190 AM||KGW –Channel 8|
|KXL 750 AM||KPTV –Channel 12|
|KYKN 1430 AM|
|KMUZ 88.5 FM|
|KKRZ 100.3 FM|
|KRSK 105.1 FM|
|KOPB 91.5 FM|
|KYCH 97.1 FM|
|KSND 95.1 FM (Español)|
|KMUZ 1230 AM (Español)|
|KWBY 940 AM LaPantera (Español)|
|KWIP 880 AM (Español)|
The media will mention the district only if there is a delay or closure. If you do not hear any information, it's safe to assume district schools are open or have resumed their regular schedule.
Late Start | Licensed Staff
When school is delayed district-wide due to inclement weather, licensed staff's reporting time is delayed by the same amount of time as it is for the students. For example if the start of the school day is delayed by 2 hours, then licensed staff reporting time is delayed 2 hours from their normal reporting time.
Late Start | Classified Staff
Classified staff reporting time is also delayed by the same amount of time as the students, except for the following: 12-month employees and those who are designated as essential staff (i.e., office managers, custodial, and maintenance, and transportation – mechanics and support staff) are to begin at their normal start time or as soon as it is safe.
When Schools Open 2 Hours Late
- Morning buses will run two hours later than normal.
- Morning kindergarten will be cancelled.
- Afternoon kindergarten, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- District morning preschools will be cancelled.
- District afternoon preschools, unless specifically closed, will be on normal schedule.
- Head Start AM preschools will be cancelled, but afternoon preschool will be open.
Early Dismissal Due to Bad Weather
Each school has an emergency plan in case of early dismissal due to inclement weather. Contact your child's school for more information regarding their emergency plan.
- If we close schools for 1 full day district wide, we will make up 1 school day at the end of the year.
- If we close for 2 days, we will make up 2 days.
- If we close for 3 days, we will make up 3 days.
- Any need for additional makeup days after 3 days will be determined at the discretion of the superintendent.
- Procedures for canceling or delaying schools
- Procedures for school principals to notify staff, students and their parents
This site includes information on district emergency protocols and other safety related information.
Emergency procedures and protocols for dealing with situations, such as threats, fires, and injuries.